Who should I consult about my tinnitus treatment?

Getting help

Who to consult

Knowing what type of tinnitus you're experiencing is important in determining which professional to consult

Acute tinnitus: Sudden onset of ringing in the ears, with no explanation, and lasting less than three months. Any sudden change in your hearing or ears should lead you to an ear, nose and throat specialist (ENT). This includes acute tinnitus, any noticeable change to your sense of hearing or the sound of the world around you. Many ailments are totally treatable - but they need to be treated early.

Chronic tinnitus: A consistent ringing in the ears, lasting longer than three months. We strongly recommend consulting a hearing care professional who is trained and experienced in treating tinnitus patients. These professionals have in-depth knowledge of different tinnitus treatment options and will thoroughly discuss your individual needs and possible solutions with you.

What to expect

What can I expect from my first appointment with a hearing care professional?

There is no standard procedure for the diagnosis or management of tinnitus, but you can expect to cover a few basic steps in your assessment. Don't be put off or concerned by the hearing test – most people with chronic tinnitus have some degree of hearing loss, often very mild and barely noticeable. This is why a hearing test always goes hand-in-hand with the tinnitus assessment.

Step 1: Tinnitus assessment via a questionnaire

Step 2: Tinnitus analysis and hearing test

Step 3: Explanation of your individual results of step 1 and 2

Step 4: Explanation which products within Phonak's Tinnitus Balance Portfolio are recommended for your unique tinnitus

Step 5: Counseling and goal setting

Optional referral to other professionals e.g. ENT, physiotherapist, dentist.

Find a hearing specialist in your area

Find an expert near you

Take the next step and be evaluated by a hearing-care specialist

Find an expert