Laws & funding

Learning about the laws that affect persons with hearing loss is important. These laws describe your rights about common accommodations and modifications. Some programs provide support and funding to help with technology costs. Transition is an on-going, life long process. Start learning early to be prepared for university and work.


As a person who is deaf or hard of hearing, you have rights that provide you accessibility to information and communication in school, university, employment and public places within your community.

Accommodations and modifications

Accommodations give you better access to communication. Typical accommodations include use of a Roger system or other assistive technology or a sign language interpreter. 

Accommodations may be provided through an IEP, a 504 Plan, or under ADA. Modifications change the content and generally require an IEP

This checklist outlines a menu of accommodations and modifications for teens in schools.

University and work accommodations are detailed in this checklist.

Funding resources

Funding resources for university, assistive technology and other services are important to check out. Each agency has guidelines that must be followed. Make sure you complete all of the paperwork.

Frequently funding requests are denied. Don’t be afraid to try again. You should contact your local Vocational Rehabilitation office to discuss benefits for personal hearing instruments, assistive technology, college and job training as well as other services.

Cost comparison of common access supports

Estimated costs of interpreting, captioning and hearing assistance technology are illustrated in this cost comparison chart. It shows estimates of common services that are provided by schools, colleges and in employment settings. Costs may vary based on where you live or availability of services.